March 19, 2009

WHY?

**disclaimer - I stole this post idea from Laurel ... Thanks Laurel! I had actually been thinking about doing something like this since I previewed the book a couple weeks ago... :D















I have been working in the youth program in our church for past 6 yrs, most recently as the YW President. My husband and I had the opportunity to preview this book a couple weeks ago and I have to say it is the perfect resource for youth ages 12-18, their parents and leaders! Especially since the most common question from a teen... or ANY child for that matter is - "WHY?"

This book was co-authored by
John Hilton III and Anthony Sweat . It will be in Deseret Book stores next month but you can pre-order today here. I have had the opportunity to hear John speak a couple of times and have spoken with him about the youth of today and the struggles they are having. He is an amazing teacher and really connects with youth of all ages. You will love this book! They have a website set up with posts and content from the book as well.


Features answers to more than 100 questions, such as:

  • Why do some people who break the commandments appear happy?
  • Why shouldn’t I just “try” alcohol, just so I can see what it tastes like?
  • Why is wearing two pairs of earrings such a big deal? Or is it?
  • Why is it wrong to steady date someone if we both have high standards?
  • Why is 16 the magical age— is it all that different from 15?
  • Why is pornography a big deal if it doesn’t hurt anybody?
  • Why shouldn’t I wear flip-flops to Church?
  • Why do some people who pay tithing still not have a lot of money?
  • Why should I talk to the bishop about certain sins?

Check out this video!

Also, John Hilton III has another fantastic book out that helps youth and adults alike with studying their scriptures.

Enjoy and if you have any thoughts about either book please share!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words Angela!!

Melissa@thebblog said...

sounds great! I will for sure check it out - our young women (and me as a leader) can certainly benefit from those though provoking questions.

Misty said...

This is really interesting...I'm gonna have to check it out! :) Thanks for always directing me to good places!

Anonymous said...

It was so fun to run into you after a hundred years (at least it feels like that sometimes) Here's the link to our blog. I'll email you too.

Misty said...

Is it called "WHY?" as in "WHY is it so expensive"? I was going to get it for my little sis for her birthday, but it's thirty bucks! Are they going to release it in paperback anytime soon? I'd love to get it for her...but $30?